I hope you are all doing well and staying safe and healthy during this COVID-19 pandemic. I know many of the businesses are considering and permanently having their employees work from home instead of going into an office setting. These are challenging times and we have to adjust and move on with the times to stay focused and productive in our personal and business lives. If you are working for a company that now have you working from home more or a small business and working from home, here are some ideas/suggestions on how to make space in your home for your new or updated work space:
- Do you have a room in your home that would work out great to convert to an office? Maybe your dining room or living room area would be a productive space to have a desk or table to have your laptop and papers on. If you can, look at the space and try to visualize a desk in that space for your home office and if it would be a functional space for you. I know that may be hard for some people to do and getting help from an organizer to create that space would work out great for you.
- You will need a desk or table to use for your laptop and/or papers. There are several good ideas and solutions for desks at Office Depot stores. They have small desks that fit in specific areas and do not take up much room or larger desks with storage and good space for laptops and paperwork that is functional.
- You must establish a daily routine in your work schedule. If you normally would drive to a business office location and now you are working from home, try to keep your business hours the same. Get up early, be ready to work around your normal business hours and quit your work at a normal time. Keeping up with your work routine will help you be productive and focused in your work.
- Take breaks and lunch breaks just as you would if you were at your business office location. Also, communicate with your family and friends on what your work schedule and responsibilities are and make sure you all honor each others time. This may be a new routine in your lives but I know you will work together to make it work!
- One of the most important words I would like for you to take away from this “new normal” is to keep up with your relationships during this time! Stay connected with your business contacts, current and past clients and friends businesses who may need your support. All successful businesses rely on relationships and trust with their customers and clients and this is very important at this time!
I wanted to share with you just some ideas and suggestions for you to think about and implement in your work life moving forward. If you have any questions or need advice on how to make your work space functional in your home, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I would be happy to help! I hope you are all safe and healthy during this time and we will all come out of this stronger!